The First Post

The previous year I developed an interest in microbiology. This was because of an online biology course I took which required a microscope. During the year I found that there were various sources of microbes within every corner I could look, and concluded that I should write about such findings. Thus, here I am, writing a blog about such findings.

Of these "various sources" the main one that you will be seeing here is lichen. Lichen contains several larger microbes, such as: nematodes, tardigrades, rotifers, Stentor, and mites. All of these can be seen using the lower powers of a microscope, and as such can be left in a petri dish when viewing. Pond water is a close second to lichen when it comes to interesting microbes, however, Because of the very dry environment in which I live, ponds are rather scarce. So it is unlikely that there will be much writing about pond water here.

Nematode (from lichen with sugar)
















My normal process for lichen involves soaking it in distilled water in a petri dish for 12+ hours. More recently though, I have been experimenting with adding sugar and salt to the water. The salt has not grown anything, and the sugar has shown active microbes after 24 hours. Neither are improvements over normal water. Thus, unless there are dramatic occurrences within the next 48 hours, I will refrain from adding either in the future.

Nematode body (from lichen with sugar). Note prominent pharynx (red), intestine (blue), and ovary (green) 




















Next I think I will try adding beef extract (or something similar) to the water. Attempting to sub something from the lichen to agar might also produce interesting results. Even further in the future I might attempt to culture a population of tardigrades. It seems difficult, as (from what I have read) culturing entails first establishing a stable population of algae. Then subbing some tardigrades to a dish with it.

Well, it seems I have run out of things to bore any potential visitors about. Thus, I will leave you with several more pictures of the lichen with sugar:

Rotifer (probably Bdelloid) in lichen. Note the circular corona at the anterior. These are used for sweeping in food, and can be retracted when moving.





Tardigrade cuticle 

Tardigrade with lichen.





Tardigrade coming out of tun.



Comments